The Talent Economy Podcast
Humanizing the Hiring Process
As lack of transparency in the hiring process is becoming a thing of the past, we ask our guest, Austin Belcak, CEO of Cultivated Culture, what this transition to greater openness looks like for both companies and job candidates.
Belcak pursued a bachelor’s degree in biology from Wake Forest University and put his minor in entrepreneurship to the test after a harrowing experience working in healthcare put him back on the job market. He had sent more than a hundred resumes in 30 days without getting a response, when Belcak designed a solution: a system to get employed by the companies he dreamed of working for. His method was so effective that he landed interviews and offers from Twitter, Google, and Microsoft.
Belcak, whose strategies were featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Fast Company, and Inc. Magazine, shares his ideas about what candidates and companies should do differently to get the best out of the hiring process. We discuss one-way interviews, and why most candidates don’t like them. We also touch on the importance of referrals and their role in employee retention. You will hear Belcak’s vision of how assessments should be run and what candidates can do to differentiate and highlight their resumes.
Some Questions Asked:
- How should companies better tell their stories to recruit top talent?
- How can companies tell whether an applicant is aligned with their values and what they’re trying to accomplish?
- What impact do referrals have on retention and performance?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About companies taking public stands on social issues to attract the type of talent that is aligned with their values
- The risks companies are taking when they are not open and transparent in their search for candidates
- That potential and knowledge are not the same, and what folks with no traditional work experience can do to get hired
- Austin Belcak - LinkedIn
- Austin Belcak - Instagram
- Cultivated Culture website
- Cultivated Culture Free Tools for Job Seekers
- The Dream Job System Podcast